Yarn !!!

Yarn! We all have some. The stashes we build sometimes, in our instance, take over the house and garage. The yarn I have been receiving lately has been given to me and I feel so blessed and lucky. With the collaborations I am doing this year the yarn is given to me. Almost all the yarn for those collaborations has been received. I will show those again because I cannot remember if I went over those before! The first shawl that I started, the one that I am working on currently and wont release until April now, is the collaboration with MJ Yarns out of Lafayette, CO. I have been enjoying working on this project so much that I rather don't mind that its going into April. When it does release, I will also release my first eBook which is uncharted territory for me! MJ's yarn is nothing short of amazing. I know I have written about this yarn in previous posts so I will refrain from repeating myself about how much I totally love this yarn. Here is the yarn...


The colorway is Fire Dragon. Here is where I'm at with the shawl...


The project with Crave Yarns will be done with a gradient kit in a teal colorway but I have not yet received the yarn. I should get it in a month or so. The dyer is also in the process of getting her Masters Degree so she is otherwise occupied, and rightfully so!

The project with Skein out of Australia will likely come next. The yarn is amazing. It their 80/20 merino and cashmere...and it is uh-mazing. Its also hard to get your hands on it here in the states. Usually when shops get either this merino/cashmere blend or the Top Draw Sock they sell out quickly.You can order directly from Skein but you will have to wait for it to arrive. They dye to order. But friends, I'm telling you...its totally worth it. When we were discussing colorways I tried to think about colorways I hadn't really worked with much yet. Purple. It was February when we were discussing and it was my birthday month. My birthstone is amethyst. I wanted something like a tonal amethyst colorway. She nailed it. She calls it Moon Shadow and it looks like this...


The fourth collaboration is with Yarn Hollow. Rita Pettey of Yarn Hollow has been dying up yarn for me to have a couple choices to choose from. I received the first batch last week. There was no tag or colorway name on it but I believe it is Marsala. Its gorgeous. I believe it is her MCN blend 80/10/10. Here's the pic...


I believe the next batch she will be sending me will be more chocolate in color. I am really looking forward to what she sends! Then I get to choose which one I want to work with. I kind of already have an idea of what I want to do but we'll see. 

Back in December when I was in the process of contacting companies and dyers to see about collaborations, one of the companies I contacted was Plucky Knitter. I didn't hear anything so I assumed there was no interest there. To my surprise, a couple weeks ago I received an email from them! They were very interested in sending me a few skeins of yarn as inspiration. When I was done I could contact them again and see if there were interested in my design and perhaps doing a kit for it. Fantastic!!!! The only think I asked for was at least 2 skeins in the same colorway. They would be sending what I initially requested which was their Bello Fingering. It is a 55/45 merino /cashmere blend. When the yarn arrived, I couldn't believe it. They had sent not 3 but 5 skeins of yarn to work with. I asked for at least 2 matching skeins, they sent these....


The colorway is called Forward In Flats. I love it. It feels so good and has such a tight twist to it. It will have fantastic stitch definition. The other 3, I believe they sent a challenge! I'll get to the above and I have ideas for these below but I'm not sure just when I'll get to them...


From top to bottom is Highlighter (and it is much brighter in person. It is EXACTLY like a yellow highlighter), Fisherman's Wharf, and Hotsy Totsy which is also super bright. I'm seeing something in stripes but beyond that I'm not sure yet. I'm just so thankful that, after looking at my Design Page on Ravelry, they felt confident enough to send this yarn my way.

Another yarn gift I  received came from the Rowan Company! I had been looking at their cotton/linen blend called Creative Linen. I'd been wanting to venture into this blend for a summer shawl so I contacted them. They gifted me 4 skeins in the Natural colorway so that I can do a shawl with it....


Just as with Plucky, whenever I finish the shawl with this Creative Linen I will contact Rowan and see if they have any interest in the shawl I've designed. This is a very soft but strong and sturdy yarn.

One of my favorite sites is the Simply Sock Yarn Company.This is a site loaded with nothing but fingering weight yarns to buy. One of my favorite local dyers, Wooly Wonka Fibers is now selling through them which is huge. At any rate, I looked to see what she had in stock and she had one of my favorite colorways that I have been wanting. Every time we were in Santa Fe at Yarn & Coffee there seemed to only ever be one skein. I got lucky with SSYC though. I was able to get 2 skeins of the Artio Sock which is a 50/50 BFL/silk blend. Delicious!! The colorway is called Dark Roast. The tonality of it is amazing....


I cannot wait to turn this into something beautiful!!!

For a while now I have been looking for a fingering weight alpaca/silk/cashmere blended yarn. It is hard to find. Either the dyer is out of the base, its sold out, or is outrageously expensive. I have seen it for about 38.00 US and I would be willing to pay that but not much more. I stumbled across a dyer in Greece through Etsy selling the most beautiful lemon chiffon colored yarn in exactly this blend. She had 2 skeins. I wavered over buying it and I don't really know why. I knew I wanted it. I eventually sealed the deal and its now on its way. Here is a picture of it...


It has such beautiful tonality! I also cannot wait to work with this one. I certainly have my year in knitting worked out for me. And with more eBooks to follow as well!

The first shawl will be into April before its done because of some computer issues we had. I haven't had a change to chart out the border until now. That, and I had to change the plans for the border. I was a little disappointed at first but I think the new border will be better. I would not have had enough yarn for the one I originally planned. Because of the computer issues and not being able to work on the MJ Yarn project, I had to find something else to work on. I wanted something relatively small so I could use one of the skeins of Wolle's Color Changing Cotton. I chose the Autumnal II one and a cowl pattern that shall remain nameless. I started the cowl pattern and could not for the life of me figure out how it was, from where it started, supposed to turn into a cowl. Well, it wasn't working out. I decided instead to turn it into a triangular shawl. I am now working on 'Cat Among The Seabirds.' Its a lovely little, simple pattern to pass the time....


I love watching the color change....


Audrey Grace has really been enjoying the new bed. She sleeps on it all day long and is by my side at night every night. I love it! She was all curled up next to me in this next picture with her paw covering her nose. So cute. Disney cute...


I hope you all are doing well and enjoying your own knitting, whatever that may be. Believe me, as soon as I can get this next pattern out, it'll be out! I need to move on to the next design. Keep buying and acquiring yarns my friends. Its important to build your stash. As they say, Stash = Sable. And Sable means:
S - stash
     A - acquired
   B - beyond
L - Life
         E - expectancy

So keep buying yarn! You may have yarn, but you don't have that yarn.
Take care everyone and Knit On!

Comments

Popular Posts