Knitting and Much, Much More!

Hello Everyone! 

Seems like so much has happened since I last wrote. I want to bring you up to date with my life! Some major things have happened around here (or so it seems). I have finished my next design and those of you who follow me on social media have seen a picture of it. It will likely be released within the coming week. My test knitters are done with it and I am waiting on final blocking pics from them. Once I have those I can post it to Ravelry. Needless to say, after this design, and Placitas Lace Wrap being posted in July, I needed a break from all the lace for a minute. I decided to knit myself another Be Simply Shawl from Ravelry. The last one I made was in Free Fibers Lace in the gradient skein 'Dusk.' I have had another skein of Freia Lace stashed away in the gradient colorway called 'Cloud' which is a greyscale gradient. I love it. Its been simple, easy, laid back knitting which was exactly what I wanted...


I'm almost done with it actually. I've decided to take a break from it though for a very good reason. 
A good friend of mine from High School contacted me and asked me to knit her partner a shawl. A very special shawl. She had been watching me post pics of my work on FB and IG and really appreciated my work. She is so excited they will be receiving a custom made design of mine, Cornwall Coast, sometime next month. She and her partner took part in picking the right yarn for the project which is a BEAUTIFUL merino/nylon/stellina blend from Lambstrings in the colorway Iberian...


Its shades of fair blues, grey and browns and its lovely, really lovely to work with. The yarn just gets better and better now that I've had a bit of time to work with it...



It looks a bit different in different light but it always looks good. The yarn is stunning. I cannot wait for the recipient to open this for Christmas...if they wait that long! Either way, I cannot wait for her to open it. Y'all will be seeing more pics of this, trust me!

I got another tattoo added to my collection on my left arm and I LOVE it. I am so happy with it and all of the work I have done by my artist, Orlando Sedillo of Shades of Grey here in town. He has done all of my work and I hate to think of the time when he will be moving next year. Not that far away, one town over. But still. Here are the pics of it. It went above my knitting tattoo on my left arm. I knew I was having "the ditch" tattooed and that it would be painful. Looking ahead to my appointment time, I bought some tattoo numbing cream called Zensa made by the Canadian company Alera. It made ALL the difference in the world in having a tattoo done. I would highly recommend it for sensitive areas to tattoo. This is having all the line work finished...


Then he began the shading...


After four hours it was finished!



I'm so very happy with it!

The Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta started the very next day. It has been a wonderful year, the best since I can remember, for the balloon fiesta. There hasn't been any rain at all! All the mass ascensions have gone up okay and the glowdeo's have all happened without any hitches that I am aware of. Its been lovely. I am posting some pics for you but I have not taken them. Credit is given where its known...


This pic was taken by the Albuquerque Journal, I believe, and was posted on social media. 


I cannot remember who took this photo but it was not me. This is the Heisenberg/Breaking Bad balloon and I love it!

My most favorite balloon of all was this last one...taken by my stylist Mona Aguilar...


Anyone who knows me well, knows I absolutely LOVE Sugar Skulls. This balloon is bright and cheery and has a giant Sugar Skull on it! All my friends are posting pics of the Balloon Fiesta on Facebook. I have two friends that crew annually for two different balloons and they not only have awesome photographs but the video footage they take is incredible. I never tire of seeing them, ever. The just don't get old. The first time I went to the Balloon Fiesta I turned into a 5 year old....


I couldn't stop smiling that morning I was down there on the field for mass ascension. The look on my face says it all! Here are some pics I took a few years ago...




Balloon Fiesta is such a great time of the year for all of us here in Albuquerque. Yes, we hate what it does to traffic. But the balloons are simply magical and nothing can take away from that!

Perhaps the biggest thing that came and went was my Fathers 80th Birthday. He had a significant birthday and I think we've all reflected just a little. Don't get me wrong, my Father is in great shape and good health but I am realizing that at 80, he isn't going to live forever and that makes me just a little sad. We had a wonderful surprise party for him! So much planning for this party went on with him right in the next room, sometimes in the same room, completely oblivious to what was happening. I thought he might have suspected something would happen because months ago we made mention to watch out, this was a biggie! We held the event at a lovely large and popular Mexican Restaurant here in Albuquerque in a section that was outside. In the days leading up the party we became increasingly concerned about the weather. I was assured that we were in the most covered area of the entire venue and that we would be fine. Friends of our participated in getting Pop to the restaurant on time and we all walked into a room full of family and friends who loved my father very much. It was wonderful. He was completely gobsmacked and I loved every single second of it. Even my Aunt and Uncle from California came from California to be a part of this special time for my Dad. Dilshani brought her big camera and took pictures of the event for us. Many of them still need to be edited but I can share a few with you...


This was the venue all set up before everyone arrived


Dads Birthday Cake was an Ohio State Buckeye Cake made special for him by ABC Cake Company here in Albuquerque, the best cake company in town!


Dad, Aunt Betty, Sidney and Gus admiring the cake


Dad cutting his cake


He was ever so happy that night!


Dilshani and I


Sidney and I


Dad getting kissed by Dilshani and I


By far my favorite picture of my parents from that night


My Uncle (Moms brother), Mom, Dad, and my Aunt

It was a wonderful evening had by all. We specifically asked for people not to bring presents, but to bring all the rude cards they wanted! Our dear friends Sidney and Gus stopped by the next evening at our house because they bought my father a very nice aged bottle of Scotch! Sidney and Dad have this Scotch thing. They both drink it but rarely because neither of them has anyone to drink it with. Often times when Stitch/Knitting Group is at our house Sidney and my Dad will share some Scotch together because...why not? Here they are doing just that...


That brings you up to speed on whats happened in my world recently. As always, I will try to keep y'all current. Next week 6 of us are going to Taos for a long weekend because we all need it. A nice relaxing weekend in a beautiful city where the fall colors can be seen and the cooler temps can be felt. We take our knitting, good snacks and lots of wine. We sit around a knit, relax, snack and just take it easy. We go to good restaurants for breakfast and dinner. Its always a wonderful time. We usually go for the Taos Wool Festival but we decided to forgo that this year. The Taos Wool Festival has been going to downhill for years and we knew it would eventually get to a point where we wouldn't want to attend anymore. And we don't. But we still love Taos and the Old Historic Taos Inn so we're going to go still have our weekend just without all the madness and the people of the festival. I'll blog about that when I get back. 

Take care everyone. Until next time...Knit On!

Comments

Popular Posts