Back Home Part 2 - The Reunion

As you know, I hadn't been back to my hometown in 17 years. I had also never been to any previous High School Reunions. Honestly, I was a little nervous, anxious...but also excited. 25 years is a long time and people have changed, I'm sure. Our Reunion was being held at the restaurant La Scala, a nice Italian joint. The event was to start about 6pm. Rob and I got ready and went early to have a cocktail or two. It was cold and rainy as we headed out. We took a pic to mark the occasion...


We were so happy to be hanging out together again for the first time in so many years. We were off to the Reunion! 

I only have a few pics of the Reunion itself because the lighting inside the venue was low and most of the pics came out like shit. So, I'll share with you what I have. It wasn't the most important part anyway. Here I was thinking that because it had been so long people had changed and had lives of their own, etc. While this is true in many cases, the people I was closest to and had real friendships with hadn't changed a bit. Yes, they had lives and children and jobs and all that. But they hadn't changed at all. It was fantastic to reconnect with old friends. absolutely fantastic. My friend Heidi (you'll see more of Heidi later) brought her Senior Memories Book. In this book were pictures of us going to Kings Island for Senior Night. Me, Heidi, and Amy. I don't remember if Karrie was there or not. Heidi had pictures of us driving down to Kings Island which is in Cincinnati Ohio. We did things we weren't supposed to be doing, ought not to have been doing...and she had photographic evidence. She even told me, jokingly (I think) that she was going to make copies for my Mom so she could have a laugh. I think enough time has passed that she would laugh, I'm honestly not sure. At any rate, it was awesome to see those pictures and remember that awesome time we had together. Here's a pic of me and Heidi...


That trip down memory lane happened at the bar, we weren't even in the actual Reunion space yet! When we got into our area and had a look around, it was beautifully decorated....


The linens were all decorated with our school colors, purple and gold. It was very nice. So much mingling and picture taking went on. Most of those pictures all went onto the school's Facebook page. I just cannot convey enough how nice it was to see people again. There were a couple people that shared with me memories they had of me that really stayed with them their whole lives. I was touched by that. I would've never known. It seemed so insignificant to me...enough so that I don't even remember. But they did. It was cool. Seeing Julie at the reunion was wonderful. I cried when she showed up. Its been 20 yrs since I'd seen her. We grew up together, lived across the street from one another, and our Dads worked together. I have always tried to stay in touch by sending Christmas cards annually with a quick hello. I like snail mail. No one does it anymore. I like to send my nearest and dearest cards every once and a while. Julie hasn't changed at all. She is still the same Julie I have always known. Here's a pic of her and Rob....


A few more pictures of my friends....

 above is Michelle, Rob and Dennis...

 This is Chris and Heidi

This is Karrie and I...


And Stacey. Stacey and I go way back too. She's the only other one I know that has known Rob as long as I have. It was a delight to see her and meet her husband. I see all these people and know parts of their lives that they share on Facebook. It was so nice to actually see them again, hug them. Stacey wanted to do one of those photo booth pics with Rob and I so we did....


There was an after party as a bar almost next door to La Scala. Rob and I had made a pact that we wouldn't go. He said all along that he wouldn't want to. I knew all along that once he got comfortable and in his zone, he would be just fine. And he would want to go to the after party...LOL. I didn't care. I was wiped. I needed to go back to my room and put my feet up and get comfortable. All in all, it was awesome. I had a VERY good time and am SO glad I decided 9 months ago I wanted to do this. I'll definitely go back for the 30th!

I took this when I was back to my hotel room and had a while to reflect on the whole experience. The smile on my face sums it all up. I was so happy I went! I was thrilled to reconnect with old friends. I cant wait for the next one!

More coming tomorrow...my first trunk show and more! Until then....Knit On!

Comments

Popular Posts