Random Saturday

The closer we get to Thanksgiving the more I cant believe how fast this year has whizzed by us all. We stopped by Keller's yesterday afternoon and ordered the turkey for the feast next week and I suspect that Mom and I will get to the rest of the shopping sometime before next Thursday. I am truly looking forward to this year's feast as Dan & Dilshani and their 2 eldest kids will be joining us at the table. There is much to be thankful for! Today is a bit random so bear with me...
 
First off, I finished my mitered square free form piece inspired by Myra Wood's class last weekend. I cant believe that was a week ago already. Here are the pics from beginning to end...


Blocking the whole piece...


...and...


Tah Dah!!! I am really pleased with how it turned out, for my first time anyway. I worked with a sport weight yarn and cast on 41 stitches for the 3 larger mitered squares in the middle. The 4th upper right square is composed of 4 smaller squares of 21 stitches cast on each. After stitching them together I just picked up the stitches along the sides and knit 10 rows of seed stitch. That was it. It was a nice study in this new technique. The sweater I will make eventually will be made from fingering weight yarn and will likely take me years to finish. Either way, the concept and technique is too awesome not to make a sweater with it. After all, thats what Myra had in mind. 

I picked up a new skein of yarn last week from Village Wools. I have known about the Cat Mountain Fiber display they have there for some time. I was gifted some of it for my Birthday last year from Margaret and Frankie, God bless them. Well, as I was walking past on my way to the register the week before I noticed something new there. Lace weight and fingering weight hand painted that was new. I told myself if the skein I really liked was still there when I came back this week I would grab it up. Sure enough it was. So I did...


Isnt is gorgeous?! I love it. I had never seen anything like this from Cat Mountain Fibers at Village Wools before. Thats not to say it hasnt been around, I just had never seen it in the shop before. I have no idea what I'll do with it. 

If you have been following me for any time at all recently then you'll know that we are doing a 'handmade' Christmas this year. Meaning, all the gifts we are gifting, with few exceptions, are all hand made. Even if not made by us, we are ensuring that the gifts are handmade by someone! I am so excited as a few of the things not made by me are beginning to arrive...


Believe me, there will be pictures of the gifts when they are opened!
 
I woke up this morning to this in the living room...


...and I realized that my favorite time of year really is here and now. Warm fireplace, friends, family gatherings, lots of food and everything that comes with it. Its my favorite time of year. This year, I cannot wait to get the tree. I usually feel that way but this year is special. Dilshani's whole family will be celebrating with us and I cannot wait. We plan to go to River of Lights together, watch The Polar Express in our jammies with hot chocolate together, exchanging gifts with one another and breaking bread together. I am so blessed to have found my best friend and am truly excited for this Holiday Season to really get underway. We usually dont get our tree much sooner than about a week and a half before Christmas as we always get a live one, but I think even I will be pushing for one a little sooner. I feel like a kid this year!

I hope you are all staying warm, and inside!, and knitting away. Until next time...Knit On!

Comments

Popular Posts