Ties That Bind ...

There was a meme on Facebook last night that said "Blood makes you related, Loyalty makes you family." That couldn't be more true than with our family. This past weekend was wonderful and was a perfect living example of that meme. It was the kind of time where you sit back and take a mental snapshot of everyone laughing and enjoying themselves...together. 
Dilshani and her husband Dan and their four kids are all HUGE Seattle Seahawk fans. Believe me when I say, you've never met bigger fans than them. When our two families merged, they outfitted us all with Seattle Seahawks t-shirts so that we could root for them right along side with them. Our previous affiliation had been to the Denver Broncos as my ex-husband was the biggest Bronco fan out there. But as that time period has passed, we felt it was good to have a new team to root for. Plus, I absolutely love the Seahawks colors! Dan and Dilshani and the kids had never been huge on college football but we are changing that. As we adopted the Seahawks, they have adopted the Ohio State Buckeyes as their college team. We are in the process of outfitting everyone with Ohio State Buckeye shirts. This past Saturday they came over, along with Aunt Betty, to watch the Buckeyes take on Rutgers. It was awesome. Unfortunately the only person missing was my Dad. But really, we didnt feel all that bad for him since he was IN Columbus watching the game live. I almost hit the floor when Dan told me..."this is the first college game that I have watched intentionally." Gasp! We had chips and nachos, and veggies and dip and coney dogs at half time. We won 56-17. It was a blowout. Aside from the game, it was just awesome family time...

 




How blessed we are that we bumped into one another almost a year ago. You'd think that Dilshani and I have known each other forever when really its been just short of a year. The funny thing is...when I met Dilshani and we went and had coffee for the first time, I think we both knew immediately that we were both kindred spirits that had been looking for each other for a long time. There was never a point where I questioned whether this would be a good friendship to invest time in, I inherently already knew it was. I think it was the same way with her too. To see our families together now, its just awesome. Our families will be spending Thanksgiving and Christmas together too and I am SOOO excited and looking forward to that. 
Dilshani's hubby Dan is retired Air Force and Albuquerque, whether you knew it or not, is a military city. Kirtland AFB is here. Dan and Dilshani and the kids still go on base from time to time for different reasons. Well, Sunday they invited us to Brunch at the Officer's Club on base. I was charmed as I had never been on base before, let alone to the O Club. It was wonderful. Along with inviting us, they also invited their good friends John and Margie and their 3 girls. As soon as we sat at our table a waitress came to find out how many of us wanted champagne. The food was amazing. There was a band and a huge dance floor too. Dilshani made it known early on that she wanted to twirl on that dance floor with Dan and her second eldest son Kamal. She got what she wanted too. I took pictures with her camera which she brought with her knowing she was going to make sure to mark this moment with photos. She uploaded a few to Facebook so I don't think she'd mind if I put a few here...

John and Margie took the girls onto the dance floor as they wanted to dance. And man did they those little girls twirl! There are pics of that too but they haven't been shared yet so I cannot put them here. But let me tell you, there is nothing like seeing little girls dance with with their Daddy. It was precious! A good time was had by all....


We were lucky enough to be able to see Dan and Dilshani three days in a row! Monday is, as you may know from previous posts, Monday Night Stitch Group. Dilshani joined Monday Night a while ago and comes and often as she can. Last night was Sidney's annual Pumpkin Pancake Festival. Sidney makes these incredible pumpkin pancakes and serves them along with sausage links, and homemade apple sauce and sour cream for the pancakes if you wish. Its sort of like officially jumping into the fall season. It was wonderful. Lots of stories and laughter and more laughter. Sitting around their large kitchen table knitting, or stitching or beading, it was a fantastic evening! Dilshani announced to everyone, I already knew, that this semester she is carrying 15 credit hours in graduate school and as long as her reading assignments are done and some homework, she gets to come to Monday Night. Tuesday is really tentative for the same reason. Next semester she is carrying 9 credit hours and then she is done with her Masters Program! She will graduate and, as her school is out of Virginia (she takes her classes online) she will get robes and my father will hood her as among us he is the only other one with a Masters Degree. This will all happen in March. I cant wait for those pictures! At any rate, last night was so very cheerful and fun...


These next pics are a bit blurry. I was trying to get a pic of Dilshani and I put we kept getting photo bombed but either Dan or Gus...but I did finally get one!


Blood makes you related, but Loyalty makes you family. Absolutely. These are the ties that bind us all together. 

I finished the 'Grizzly' mitts!! I have posted a few pics on my Facebook page and the light never seemed good enough to really see the depth of color. I did finally get a picture of the second mitt in progress while driving with Mom. The sun was shining just right...


I did get two pairs of mitts out of the skein although I didn't think I would be able to finish the 4th mitt....


But I did win out in the end...


I am very pleased with them I need to finish writing up the pattern for the mitts too. Here in the next week or so I think I can do that.

I have 2 shawls that need their borders put on them and then they will be about ready for release. I am really excited about both of them. I am hoping I can have them out before the end of the year. And yet crazily, I find myself casting on this evening. Why, you might ask? Because I can and because I'm nuts. I know I wont be able to get much work into it until after the holidays and the release of these shawls but yet I really couldnt wait to get my hands on this new corridale sock yarn from MJ Yarns that I picked up from the Taos Wool Festival. I look forward to being able to tell you more about the yarn other than how pretty it is! Here are pics of the yarn...


I hope you are all having a wonderful time in your lives and are knitting or crocheting away. This is my favorite time of the year...fall. Things get a little greyer, a little colder, windier...a sign that winter is coming. Sweatshirt weather..its my favorite kind! Be kind to the people in your world and with those who cross your path. You never know what kind of day they may or may not be having. A smile can change everything! If you are with me for the first time, thanks for joining me! If you have been following me for some time now, thanks for sticking with me! Have a wonderful time doing what you're doing! Until next time....Knit On!

Comments

Popular Posts