The Scottsdale Shawl

I am so excited for this release! 

It has been a much longer road for this shawl than my others which is probably why I'm a little more excited about it. The Scottsdale Shawl began at least 3, 3 1/2 months ago when I was looking to do something spectacular with a couple skeins of madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light I had in the colorway Jade. Folks, if you haven't seen this colorway in person I'm hear to tell ya...you must. Its a fantastic green with a slight haze of yellow just to bring it up a notch. And in the sun? My God is it gorgeous. If you get anything out of this post its that you must get some of your very own Tosh Merino Light in this crazy, incredible color. I'm afraid photos don't do it enough justice but I do try. 

A couple years ago I spent some time in Scottsdale while in treatment at the Mayo Clinic. I was there in the beginning of October and the weather was impeccable. Scottsdale was far greener than I ever expected it to be. After all, I'd lived in Tucson for about 12 years and knew the brown of the desert pretty well.  There were palm trees and grass and flowers planted everywhere right next to all the cactus. I don't have much of a green thumb (at all) and don't know the names of everything I saw but one of the biggest things I remember was just how green everything was for being in the Sonoran desert. The other thing that struck me was the architecture. If you've been to Scottsdale you know exactly what I'm talking about. Frank Lloyd Wright's influence is seen citywide from the many Prairie Style commercial buildings, lighting fixtures, and even bus stops to beautiful Taliesin West. Anywhere the clean decorative lines of Wright's architecture could be placed, they were there; street lamps, bridges, walkways, and windows. I was amazed at how much of his presence in seen around every corner of the city! I've incorporated some of these easy and basic lines and textures into my Scottsdale Shawl giving it a very organic feel. 

 Scottsdale Shawl knit in madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light colorway Jade on US size 6

Two months ago I submitted the first Scottsdale Shawl, the small size, to Knit Scene for their Accessories 2014 issue and also for Interweave Fall 2014. I was excited about the submission and felt good about it. It took over 6 weeks to hear a response from them, it was a long and difficult wait! I received a lovely letter from Amy Palmer enclosed with my shawl which was returned to me. This is OK because I can continue to try and try, right? Also, this meant I could finish the process of getting the pattern written up and released on Ravelry and Craftsy!


Releasing a new pattern is always exciting! It also means my LYS store will have a new pattern of mine in their shop too...

 
This is also the first time I have a released a pattern in 2 different sizes rather than all my others which are only in one size. I love that slipped stitch down the center back!


 I think this is perhaps my favorite of all of my shawls. I am a sucker for beautiful edgings and this definitely has one. And its so easy too...very easy to memorize believe it or not.


I haven't worn this one yet but can't wait to! And here is a pic of both of them together so you can see the different sizes...

 
 The small size will be gifted to someone very special to me who has meant so much to me in my knitting ventures. 

I will release the pattern later this evening on Ravelry and Craftsy. I have noticed, at least for my patterns, they do well to release in the evening here. Every time I release a new pattern I keep my fingers crossed that it is liked. They are all like my babies and I love them but then again, I am biased! I put them out into the world and hope they are well accepted. 

I would like to give a huge shout out to Tiffany over at Knitting Daily who decided to put my very first blog post up on their Facebook page...the one I entered into their contest. Thanks so much, I appreciate the kind words and traffic! I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will receive good news on November 8th...the day they pick their winners. 

Until next time...stay knitting!

Comments

Popular Posts